Visiting Vienna and wondering where you can buy Mozartkugeln in the capital of Austria? The following guide takes you on a short tour to a few places where you can buy handmade Mozartkugeln in Vienna.
The map above (open large version here) gives you an overview of the tour. The start point is the Vienna State Opera, but you could also do a different route depending on where you are. Pass by the opera, and on the right side you almost immediately run into the first Mozartkugel store. If you prefer a video, you can also watch the whole tour here:
Mozartkugel from Lindt / Hofbauer
These are factory-made Mozartkugeln, but since you’re already passing by the shop I might as well mention it here: The Lindt store at Kärntner Straße 53. They offer two variations: Blue or red wrapped Mozartkugeln. The only difference between those two is the outer coating which is either milk chocolate (blue) or dark chocolate (red). If you want to go further down the rabbit hole you can also get either a Lindt branded version of them or the classic Hofbauer. However, the content stays the same.
Mozartkugel from Gerstner
Only a few steps from your last stop, at Kärntner Straße 51, you find the first hand-made Mozartkugeln of this tour. The K. u. K. Hofzuckerbäcker Gerstner offers them in an unmarked blue wrapping in their store and they contain a lot of Marzipan.
Heindl Mozart Kugel
Another Bonus, as you continue down the big shopping street in the direction of the Stephansplatz you pass by the Heindl Store at Kärntner Straße 35. Industrial-made and available at many supermarkets, you can buy this Mozartkugel right here at the source. They also have a round variation of their Mozartkugel, offering the same content as the other more common one just in a slightly different form. Don’t worry if you missed this store or if it’s closed, you can also find another one at Stephansplatz (or actually at many places throughout the city).
Confiserie Mozartkugel at Billa Corso
The blue-wrapped hand-made Mozartkugel by Chocolada is available in many tourist places but since you’re already in the vicinity you can also try Billa Corso. Close to Stephansplatz and only a few steps from the Kärntner Straße in the Kupferschmiedgasse you can find the store (the full address being Neuer Markt 17). The Chocolada Mozartkugeln are a little bit more hidden from the main batch near the elevator and if you’re lucky you can also get the pink summer edition. Since 2023, there have also been three new variants of this Mozartkugel, covered in milk chocolate or Ruby chocolate, as well as the Ice Coffee flavour. Additionally, this might be a good place to stack up on other more common industrial-made Mozartkugeln from Mirabell, Reber or Victor Schmidt / Manner.
Haas & Haas Mozartkugel
Return to the Kärntner Straße and follow it all the way to Stephansplatz. Keep to the right side and go by the Stephansdom, on the backside of the cathedral you can find the next Mozartkugel. It’s another handmade one by Haas & Haas at Stephansplatz 4. This one is sold in small packages since it’s not wrapped.
Leschanz-Mozartkugel from Leschanz
Turn around and go back in the direction you came from. On the other side of the Stephansplatz go straight into the small street next to the Haas Haus (Goldschmiedgasse). Follow this small street and turn right at the first chance, to get to Leschanz at Freisingergasse 1. This is another hand-made Mozartkugel that contains not just Marzipan, but also different kinds of nougat.
Meinl’s Mozartkugel at Meinl am Graben
The last stop is quite close, continue down the street from your last stop, keep left and pass by another church (St. Peter, which you should visit while you’re already here). Hitting a bigger street, called “Graben”, head right and straight to the end of the street where you can already see a big building: Meinl am Graben (at Graben 19). They offer many different industrial-made Mozartkugeln and, since 2022, a new own brand from Meinl itself. The Mozart Koogles are currently available in four different flavours: Famous Nougat, Tender Orange, Date & Coffee and Tropical Lychee. These are now also offered in other stores, but if you can’t find them anywhere, you should definitely get them at Meinl.
Die 1. BIO Mozartkugel from BIO Café Konditorei Hanauer / Supercake
Already a little longer there is another handmade Mozartkugel in the 23rd district of Vienna. The 1. BIO Mozartkugel is as the name suggests not only organic, but also vegan. Unfortunately, you will have to travel a little longer to get them at the BIO Café Konditorei Hanauer in the Breitenfurter Straße 351/1.
Mozartkugeln in Vienna
This concludes the Mozartkugel tour of Vienna. Especially the industrial-made ones are usually available in almost every bigger store in Vienna. However, the hand-made ones mentioned above are only available at their respective store (with a few exceptions, but are you really such a big fan to hunt all over Vienna and the airport for Mozartkugeln?). If you can’t get enough of Mozartkugeln you can also check out the article about Salzburg and where the get Mozartkugeln or browse trough the full list of all Mozartkugeln I discovered so far.
Follow us on Instagram to get the latest Mozartkugel news.
- List of all MozartkugelnThis is a growing list of all Mozartkugeln. It starts with the handmade ones from Salzburg, Vienna and Germany. But it also covers industrial ones from all over the world and different variations including re-brands. The list also links to the YouTube videos showing you the unboxing, unwrapping and the cross section of each Mozartkugel.
- Where to buy Mozartkugeln in ViennaVisiting Vienna and wondering where you can buy Mozartkugeln in the capital of Austria? The following guide takes you on a short tour to a few places where you can buy handmade Mozartkugeln in Vienna. Deutsche Version lesen The map above (open large version here) gives you an overview of the tour. The start point … Continue reading “Where to buy Mozartkugeln in Vienna”
- Where to buy Mozartkugeln in SalzburgVisiting Salzburg and you want to buy Mozartkugeln? This short guide helps you to find all handmade Mozartkugeln in the city.
- New Mozartkugeln in 20222022 was a great year for Mozartkugel fans. More than a dozen new varieties were launched. This includes variations of already established brands, new fruity seasonal ones as well as completely new brands entering the market. Therefore it’s time to look back at 2022, to give you a brief overview of the new additions.
- Where to buy Fürst Mozartkugeln in ViennaYou’re visiting Austria and you want the original Mozartkugeln from Fürst? Sadly, you can’t get them in Vienna or anywhere outside of Salzburg. But there are still some options that may work for you.